Sunday, February 17, 2008

Emmy's Weekend Adventure

Guest writer: Emmy

Friday afternoon Mom and Dad packed up my things – I was headed to Duke’s house for the weekend. I was surprised when Mom’s words got caught in her throat as she said, “See ya, Emmy, have a good weekend”. What? Was she leaving me? I hung out at the Admissions Office as Duke’s mom finished her workday… I rode home with her and to my surprise I rode “shotgun”. I was so excited I had trouble staying in the seat, but it was a quick ride to Duke’s house. When I arrived, I found he was there to greet me (along with Duke’s dad). He’s a big dog and he made it very clear, as I entered his yard, he’s boss – and I had better remember this or else I was in for a long weekend. I was excited and scared at the same time. This was the infamous PAWS dog that ingested 50 rocks and lived to tell about it. Well, he’s no longer a PAWS dog, so there would be less rules…. so I thought! WRONG! I’ve heard mom and dad tease by calling Duke’s house – “boot camp”. I’m not sure what they meant by this, as I actually had a lot of fun. I got to run around in Duke’s fenced in yard. And boy did I run. I actually can run faster than Duke and although he throws his weight around – I can now take him on. When Duke plays ball he totally ignores me – talk about being ball crazy –he has a major case of it. I don’t have a chance at getting the ball – so I run after Duke instead. I charge him with all my might – but he has a one-track mind. When he’s not playing ball – he’ll play with me - it’s pretty fun. One thing I didn’t like so much is Duke is pretty jealous of me, but he’s realizing that there’s enough love to go around for 2 dogs.

On Saturday, Duke’s mom and dad took me out for breakfast! I got to go and Duke was left behind. I guess it’s one of the advantages of being a PAWS puppy. I showed Duke’s dad all that I have learned. And he was pretty impressed. Mom and Dad would have been very proud of me! All sorts of people wanted to pet me – I liked being the center of attention. Saturday afternoon I took a long nap, as Duke went cross-country skiing. I take more naps because Duke and I play pretty hard when we’re outside. Saturday afternoon got pretty exciting… you see there’s a hot tub there. The routine for Duke is to play fetch by dropping the ball in the hot tub and then he fetches again. He could do this all day long if they let him. I got kind of bored because Duke doesn’t pay attention to me when he’s got the ball – so I turned my attention to the hot tub. I put my paws up on the edge – and the next thing I knew Duke’s dad was lifting me out – I had fallen in…my head and shoulders went under, but he saved me from totally falling in! My time outside was cut short – and Duke’s dad dried me off – and warmed me up. I’m sure grateful for a warm house and dinner at the end of the day.

Sunday we woke up to rain. Ickk! I liked playing in the snow better. Duke and I wrestled inside quite a bit – and he even let me “win” for a while. Duke’s mom got some video of us roughhousing in the living room. I like it when she calls me “wiggles”. I can’t help it I wiggle whenever she comes into the room. Duke’s a pretty good dog. He’s a bit set in his ways – but I think my winsome personality and good looks helped. I left his house no longer intimidated by his formidable reputation, knowing I have a new friend.




Puppy play time!!! (Listen at the end, the way they play will be explained)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! You are so big Emmy! Glad you had fun at Duke's house.

Erin said...

Whoa! Emmy you have gotten big!! Glad you got some play in with big dogs; thats always important!
Midnight is very wary of playing with big dogs, for some reason, even though she's been around them since I got her. (I work at a doggie daycare)

The Puppy Raising Roller Coaster said...

Hi,
My name is MeKalea and I am raising my 5th puppy Glacier for Guiding Eyes for the Blind. Emmy is adorable!! May I link to your blog?

Bill said...

Go ahead an link to our blog, that is really cool that you found us.